Office of the Montour County Coroner
First Elected: January 0000
Current Term Expires: January 0000
Montour County Coroner
Geisinger Medical Center
100 North Academy Avenue
Danville, PA 17821
Montour County Administration Center
435 East Front Stret
Danville, PA 17821
570.275.1867 - phone
How may we help?
Hours of Operation
About Our Office
Duties of the Coroner: The duty of the Coroner is to determine the cause and manner of death, and to determine whether or not there is sufficient reason for the Coroner to believe that any such death may have resulted from criminal acts or criminal neglect of persons other than the deceased.
Deaths that are Coroner Investigations by Law include:
- Sudden deaths not caused by readily recognizable diseases or where the cause of death cannot be properly certified by a physician on the basis of prior medical attendance.
- Deaths occurring under suspicious circumstances including those where alcohol,drugs, and other toxic substances may have a direct bearing on the outcome.
- Deaths occurring as a result of violence or trauma, whether apparently homicidal, suicidal, or accidental.
- Any death in which trauma, chemical injury, drug overdose, or reaction to drugs or medication or medical treatment was a primary or secondary, direct or indirect, contributory, aggravating or precipitating cause of death.
- Operative and peri-operative deaths in which the death is not readily explainable on the basis of prior disease.
- Deaths known or suspected to be due to a contagious disease.
- Deaths occurring in prisons or while in law enforcement custody.
- Deaths of persons whose bodies are to be cremated, buried at sea, or otherwise disposed of so as to be unavailable for examination.
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
Please click below for the answers to some frequently asked questions. If your question is not addressed in the list of questions, please contact us at 570.275.1867.